Non-Recorded Draft Decks: The Thread

For all discussion and pointless bickering about the act of drafting Magic: the Gathering. It's the name of the site after all. Also, sealed!

Re: Non-Recorded Draft Decks: The Thread

Postby boyks » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:57 pm

All of my expensive cards actually cost 2 or 3, unless I'm flooding. I wanted to play 14, honestly.

"Welcome to The Morning Star, this is Yosei in the Morning." - Boyks 2012

Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/theboyks

Postby boyks » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:32 pm

So... this happened.

Postby MaddAddams » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:13 pm

Hah, I'm trying to imagine what must have happened the previous turn for your opponent to leave such an opening? I'm guessing Warmind Infantry chumped the 7/3 and also you Pit Fought away the Watcher after declaring blocks? Opponent thought he had lethal? But then the Shambleshark seems a better target (although I guess it's moot). You are so open to a Simic Charm/Totally Lost ruining your day that it's hilarious.

I tried the small Gruul strat at a paper draft tonight. Was fortunate enough to crack Domri Rade P2P1. Our shop hadn't gotten a delivery though and we only had enough packs for double Gatecrash, we tossed a single RTR in. My deck was still bonkers, but that pack loss really hurt. Couldn't find much of anything out of pack three, ran that stupid Innkeeper three drop for my first time ever as spell #25 (Rubblebelt Raiders were my only four-drop). I went 3-1 but placed fourth out of ten with terrible breakers. Deck was crazy fun though. It'll be interesting to see what becomes of these low-mana aggressive strategies (Boros, Gruul, Rakdos, Izzet) when Dragon's Maze is added in. Will they still exist, or will there just not be enough castable cards to make them work?

Postby xcver » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:15 am

Some excellent picks from RTR for that gruul aggro strategy at common or uncommon would be Brushstrider, Drudge Beetle, Dynacharge, Gore House Chainwalker or Splatterthug I would guess. Bot nut much going on there for Gruul obviously.
"Power without Perception is virtually useless and therefore of no true value!"

Ryouken - Martial Arts Master of Hokuto no Ken

Postby MaddAddams » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:55 am

The cards from RtR I ended up playing were Rakdos Cackler, Giant Growth, Centaur's Herald, Oak Street Inkeeper (three mana 1/2 ftw), Viashino Racketeer and Electrickery. Would have loved anything you listed. I was honestly groaning with every pack that was passed. I just did not want to dip into a third color for a Common Bond or anything like that. I even shipped a Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage.

Postby xcver » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:17 am

Yeah, 3 colors is not anything you want with such a deck. Any fixing will just slow you down and without it your chances to stumble are just to great.

Postby boyks » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:35 pm

That's super interesting. I'm not sure if this strategy will work in the full set, but you can bet I'll give it a try. In that screenshot, I was playing off of a mull to five with watcher, forced adaptation, madcap skills, pit fight, and 1 land. I drew a forest, played watcher on turn two, and suited it up the turn after with both adaptations after drawing a second. He attacked all out that turn hoping for the kill (the shamble shark evolved to a 4/3 that turn so I couldn't block and pit fight it), I chumped with the infantry, pit fought the watcher, and swung back for more than lethal. All in all, it was a pretty terrible attack from him.

Postby xcver » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:30 am

boyks wrote:That's super interesting. I'm not sure if this strategy will work in the full set, but you can bet I'll give it a try. In that screenshot, I was playing off of a mull to five with watcher, forced adaptation, madcap skills, pit fight, and 1 land. I drew a forest, played watcher on turn two, and suited it up the turn after with both adaptations after drawing a second. He attacked all out that turn hoping for the kill (the shamble shark evolved to a 4/3 that turn so I couldn't block and pit fight it), I chumped with the infantry, pit fought the watcher, and swung back for more than lethal. All in all, it was a pretty terrible attack from him.

Yeah, you pretty much have to hope on no pinpoint removal at that point. Totally Lost would've probably been a backbreaker for you I guess :P

Postby tsunamishadow » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:07 am

Wednesday night had free Cube drafting and I drafted possibly the best deck I've ever drafted.
I was quite elated with the eventual 3-0 (albeit the last game was won solely on luck). :D

Postby BennyFrancis » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:46 am

15 land deck with 7 drop FTW.

Deck looks sassy as all hell.

BTW: How do I find out when these kind of free play events are happening? I'm sad I missed it.

PreviousNext

Return to Drafting / Sealed