Semulin's Drafts

Do you have a YouTube draft video you want to show off? Want to post an article you've been kicking around, or show off your card customization skills? Post it in here! We may even put it on the main site if we like it enough!

Re: Semulin's Drafts

Postby Semulin » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:18 am

Very happy to have made day 2, although the event ended rather quickly after that :) There was another cut after round 10, and I didn't quite make it. I consider it a good practice run for GP Pittsburgh :)

Also have another Gatecrash Sealed up! http://manadeprived.com/sealed-semulin-3-gatecrash/
Semulin / Travis

Postby MonkRealist » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:36 am

Eh, not a true day 2. You never touched draft. You happened to play a continuation of day 1. Wouldn't mind hearing about your sealed deck. I imagine it was pretty strong for that sort of finish.

How did you do at the big standard tournament you got to play for free?

Postby Semulin » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:10 am

Not entirely sure how it isn't a Day 2. I played through Day 1, and made the cut to come back on the second day.

They did the same thing in Philly, but round 10 was on the same day as the first 9, and there was not another cut after. I suppose having another 700 players adds a few wrinkles :) I get your point though, I didn't get to draft, but am still quite happy to be 2/3 on Day 2ing limited GPs.

The pool I had was quite strong. I had double Skyknight, Angelic Skirmisher & Assemble the legion. Couldn't have been happier with my bombs. I was lacking a bit in the removal department, but was able to curve out and bring the beatdown pretty well, and my two bombs gave me a bit more reach. I punted hardcore in one round, misplayed slightly in another (went more aggressive than I needed to), and got mana screwed in my round 10 match. Kept a double mountain hand, with Legion, Skyknight, Halberdiers and other great 3 drops on the draw and never hit the plains (there were 9 in the deck).

Overall I had a blast, and am planning on getting to GP Pittsburgh if I can scrounge up the funds, or find a few folks to split a room with.

Standard tourney was a flop. I didn't bring a deck for it, as I was planing on drafting (either in Day 2 or side events.) Since there was free entry, I put something together, and like most decks built in an hour with what's on hand, It didn't go so well :) Lost round 1 and 2 and dropped to do a draft before I drove home.
Semulin / Travis

Postby MonkRealist » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:02 pm

Not entirely sure how you can say you day 2'd. Look at the GP Charlotte Event Info Page. It'll say day 1 sealed deck, day 2 booster draft. You did not booster draft. Again, since time was a issue, they had to play continue day 1 onto day 2. 11 rounds would have been played on day one if time and an unexpected turnout wasn't an issue. They made cuts so they won't have to judge a ton of other people the next day. I guess we can argue about this for days. But if you ask 20 higher known pros, I bet almost all of them would tell you that you did not make day two.

Nonetheless, 200th-ish place is extremely impressive while a lot of the names did not go so far. Your deck sounded real solid. Probably an above average one.

Yeah I imagined you did not do to well in the standard or else you would have announced or wrote an article about it :D

Good luck at Pitts and hope you get fortunate enough to get another pool like that.

Postby Semulin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:51 am

Fair enough, I was happy with my finish, and looking forward to giving it another go. Standard isn't really my thing, I play more Modern and Draft, but am planing on focusing only on Limited for the rest of this year.

That said, here's a new draft :)

http://manadeprived.com/drafting-with-s ... gatecrash/
Semulin / Travis

Postby Semulin » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:19 am

Howdy Guys & Gals!

Derek helped me set up a stream! I'll be on at least once a week with a draft or sealed event. It is really awesome to be able to chat with other players while I'm playing, and I think this will help me bring my game to the next level. If you're interested, here's the channel : http://www.twitch.tv/SEMULIN You can "follow" me on there to get an alert when I go live, or just go back and watch drafts after they've been done. Had a pretty sweet draft last night with Ghost Dad :)
Semulin / Travis

Postby boyks » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:46 am

Best of luck with the stream! It's fun and the real time interaction is nice for sure.

"Welcome to The Morning Star, this is Yosei in the Morning." - Boyks 2012

Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/theboyks

Postby Semulin » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:49 am

Semulin / Travis

Postby Semulin » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:36 am

Semulin / Travis

Postby BennyFrancis » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:43 pm

Been catching up on your drafts (Simic FTW). Always enjoying the commentary and learning from you.

You keep mentioning practicing for GP with the latest vids. I'm wondering if this is the upcoming GP and not the one you already did.

PreviousNext

Return to Community Content